Whats it all about?

Starvation Diet is an art/life project started by artist Beth Barlow in October 2009. This next generation blog is contributed to by other people who have joined in with the project as it has gone along, choosing to resist foods they don't really need and give the money to others who are in more need. If you wish to join in and be a contributor please e mail me at bethbarlow@bethbarlow.com The original starvation diet blog can be found by clicking on the link in the links section of this page.

Wednesday 8 September 2010

stale bread

Neil (hubby) made me breakfast this morning of sourdough bread toast and butter, but i had to refuse it not because of the starvation diet but because I had just taken my medication and leave for the long drive to work. At work I have my breakfast of banana and a yogurt. I'm still struggling with the fruit and luxury thing , normally I would be proud of my healthy eating today I'm a little sadden as the pleasure i get from eating food is slowly slipping away through my questioning my food choices. I have a busy morning and forget all about food until lunch, this was a huge disappointment as I had my been looking forward to my tuna fish sandwich and banana ( and yes I have a weird habit of eating them together) I take my first bite and the bread is stale, and has taken on that slightly must flavour. I debate chucking it in the bin but think about people i have seen going into bins and eating what they find, and I don't mean bin hoppers or the chefs that did a programme about it the other week. I'm talking about people who eat food that has been half consumed and thrown away in a bin at the side of the road. I decide to perceive with the sandwich, normally i wouldn't bin it. 3pm i feel the urge for chocolate and nearly give in to it , it soon passes and I have saved my soul again for the evils of chocolate. I'm not sure how long this will last , but my new tactic will be to think about or read a bit about child slave labour and cocoa production.

4 comments:

  1. If you make a rule that says that you will only eat fair trade chocolate that tends to cut down a lot on your impulse buys I find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes this is true, however this doesn't help as cadburys has fair trade status !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, but only on dairy milk and green and blacks dark and the rest are probably far from fair. Was also reading that the new forest alliance mark which lots are adding to their chocolate is not half as rigorous as the fair trade mark in terms of equity. Also as Cadburies just got taken over by an American company some backslide on the fairtrade thing might be imminent. Saying all that I sometimes do buy some dairy milk. In two minds about if you should support the big companies big steps or see it as greenwash. Will probably never stop questioning Nestle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I agree, and fully believe that a fair price should be paid to food producers and workers. Look at the prices that are paid to British farmers who are producing in a wealthy country that could pay a fair price, but doesn't. I guess the large supermarket chains and secondary food producers such as Mc Donald’s, BK , KFC, etc who have the buying power need to seek a fair trade mark, yes there is the farm assurance mark, but this only concerned with animal welfare . The buying power of a national or global chain is impossible to break and no food producer will truly get a fair price for their product or work.
    I am able to make an informed choice about the food I purchase, I seek out ethical foods, I buy local and seasonal , but I don't always buy organic or fair trade I try to when I remember, or where possible.

    ReplyDelete