Whats it all about?

Starvation Diet is an art/life project started by artist Beth Barlow in October 2009. This next generation blog is contributed to by other people who have joined in with the project as it has gone along, choosing to resist foods they don't really need and give the money to others who are in more need. If you wish to join in and be a contributor please e mail me at bethbarlow@bethbarlow.com The original starvation diet blog can be found by clicking on the link in the links section of this page.

Monday 6 September 2010

sourdough and tantrums

I got up this morning did the usual routine, went downstairs to let my beloved Cally Cat out and started to attempt to get the sourdough starter I have be nurturing over the last 3 weeks to finally do something other than to turn out like a stone.

I have carefully made the sponge and now the the dough is waiting for me to knock the living daylights out of it, As I'm doing this I start to think about the women all over the world who make this staple for the family and I feel rather good about what I'm doing. I leave the dough to prove while I head out to the wilds of Blaengarw for a joyous day of work ......I hit traffic so I have a think about this starvation diet and wonder how Beth is getting on with her rice and porridge menu. I get to work and instantly start itching to get my lovely milky coffee , to distract me from this urge I start my breakfast of fruit. This brings on the what is luxury food question. I decide that fruit is a luxury and feel a bit guilty, but convince myself its OK because it would be a far worse thing to let the fruit rot and be wasted, after all I bought the fruit last week so it wasn't an unnecessary purchase and is fine to eat.

Lunch time arrives, I could do the easy option and go to the cafe but opted for going to the co-op and buying a loaf and some baked beans, the tins a bit big for me so I see Betty with a cuppa soup and ask if she would like to share my lunch. I'm feeling quite charitable now !

I have a stressful afternoon, throw a tantrum and want cake so badly. Five minutes later I was told a large box had arrived for me, my reply is I only want it if its got cake in it ! On opening the box I discover equipment to make cakes , oh the irony and the cake craving passes.

I got home about 6.30pm and wrestled with the sourdough , and throw another silent tantrum when the rather odd looking bread comes out of the oven after tea and I secretly want chocolate cake again!

Cash knocked up today £2.95
1.45 - coffee
75p slice of cake x 2

1 comment:

  1. Glad that it is proving to be a thinking exercise. Think that is the most important thing. I think that just resisting and knowing that you can have it if you really want it gives you the impression of choice. This extreme diet is making me feel really grumpy because choice has gone. Rather than making me feel charitable, like you and I do on the normal Starvation diet, I feel grumpy and ill and that makes me feel a lot less charitable. I think you should eat fruit, the idea is to resist things which are bad for you and take you above what you need, fruit is defiantly a necessity even though it may be a luxury for some in the world because of unfair distribution of wealth. That's an interesting thing to ponder actually a world where things which are necessary for human health become luxury. Enjoying having a dialogue about this so thanks for your blogs Vicki.

    ReplyDelete