Whats it all about?

Starvation Diet is an art/life project started by artist Beth Barlow in October 2009. This next generation blog is contributed to by other people who have joined in with the project as it has gone along, choosing to resist foods they don't really need and give the money to others who are in more need. If you wish to join in and be a contributor please e mail me at bethbarlow@bethbarlow.com The original starvation diet blog can be found by clicking on the link in the links section of this page.

Tuesday 7 September 2010

3 mint tea

Although i have two cups a coffee a day, the double espresso in the house before i trudge to work I haven't noticed missing (she says on day 2) on the other hand my double shop cappuccino from the cafe in work , i think it must be the social interaction and the mid morning escape from the continual wittering on of the Future Job Funders (aka YTS) and Betty, that I am starting to miss. So instead I have a refreshing 3 mint tea , i like this tea and drink it as my main tea at the moment ....but it's not coffee !

I still feel guilty about having fruit, this is partly because I know so many families don't give their kids fruit to eat as it is considered expensive, funny how money can be found for cigarettes or a pint ! I pondered on food poverty and the 5 a day campaign, this leads me on to think about the Fareshare project and wonder when its finally going to be set up in Wales and the benefit it provides to so many families and individuals. I quietly rant to myself.

I didn't share my lunch today as I was feeling grumpy about the lack of coffee, so baked beans on toast for one was made and consumed.

The afternoon brought hunger, and good news about a De minimis issue for a food project which has gone on for what seems like a life time. Initial thoughts.... celebrate with chocolate after all you are Hungry! I managed to resist by questioning if i was really hungry and that a person who had no money to food would probably not choose chocolate if they were hungry and had money.

I had a panic on the way home as I had to get petrol and go pass the tempting rows of yummy crap, calling to me as i try and pay . I get to the pump and can pay there instead of going into the kiosk , it all goes pear shape and i end up having to go pass the chocolate . I manage to resist but nearly give in to a pack of soft mints, panic sets in and i nearly lock my pin number on the card .....I almost have sweats by the time I return to the car.

I get home finally, slightly over do tea by having a modest salad but more bread than I should , I feel guilty again, time for another 3 mint tea .

Neil informs me that he is at his mums for tea tomorrow, I think I'll join Beth in a bowl of porridge .

3 comments:

  1. If you have a look at my post today you will see that I have rejoined you on the normal Starvation diet. Porridge and rice was making me yawn, feel sick and gave me a stonking headache which sent me to bed for an hour. I'm much happier on the normal Starvation Diet and it has worked too. Think you are doing a sterling job. They say it takes two weeks to break any habit and I think that was about right in my case. Now I no longer feel aggrieved if I go out for dinner and don't get a pud (well maybe not all the time).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling really aggrieved at the mo , no coffee! i don't know why but i think my body is rebelling and I'm forgetting that I need to drink, so far I haven't drunk anything and its 1pm which is really bad. I would suspect that being on rice and porridge would make you yawn and feel tired as your body is going into shock through the lack of fuel to convert into enegry to keep up with a busy lifestyle.

    I thought i would contemplate the eating habits of the 3rd world more but actually for me so far it has been about people in food poverty in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think in some ways its just as hard for them as there is comparison. If you are all in it together there is some comfort maybe. Here you are stigmatised if you are poor. Maybe that happens everywhere, not sure.

    ReplyDelete