Whats it all about?

Starvation Diet is an art/life project started by artist Beth Barlow in October 2009. This next generation blog is contributed to by other people who have joined in with the project as it has gone along, choosing to resist foods they don't really need and give the money to others who are in more need. If you wish to join in and be a contributor please e mail me at bethbarlow@bethbarlow.com The original starvation diet blog can be found by clicking on the link in the links section of this page.

Friday 10 September 2010

and so the cookie well shortbread crumbles

Yesterday was exhausting as I had a full day of foraging , so breakfast of a yogurt, banana, and a cup of mint tea was had and off out in the wilds of blaengarw with a small group of lovely people, we collected a great booty of hazel nuts, sloes, haw berrys, blackberries, rosehips, and rowan berries. Its so exciting foraging for food ! we break for lunch and I have a banana and we head up to the farm for more foraging we get up to the farm after a long walk, we arrive to the wonderful smell and sights of karens baking....................i could not resist lemon drizzle cake and shortbread. I felt guilt and a strong sense of that I would abstain from the treats before we got there. At the time I felt ok about it as I felt i needed a sugar hit and didn't want to seem rude by refusing cakes that had specifically been baked for the group which went from 9 people to 3. i had a chicken salad wrap for tea instead of a big cooked meal to compensate. I feel I have let myself down a bit now .



Today is proving difficult as I'm working from home and have access to the kitchen, so far today I have had toast , a plum, mint tea, fruit juice and some hummus and crackers. i think the weekend will prove difficult as i consider the weekend as a time to have wine .

1 comment:

  1. I think that we should try to banish the guilt. It just makes one glum and when glum you want to treat yourself more. Its about choice and coming to an understanding that we are in a privileged position of food choice. I had a cheescake and m and ms last night and I was supposed to be on porridge and rice this week but I try not to dwell on it. Just know that today will bring another wonderful day of food choices, things to consider, question and decide on. I normally eat things offered freely. You are right sharing in food given with a kind heart is part of what makes life nice. It probably looks to others like I'm a right greedy pig but I must have done something . Maybe we could apply the ideas some have on drinking to snacks, that they drink socially but not alone.

    ReplyDelete